With Chinese New Year under a week away, we sure hope that you already have all your outfits sorted out and you’re not one of those flooding the malls at the very last minute!
It is after all that one time of the year where brand new clothes are a must! But just in case you ARE one of them and you’re absolutely clueless as to what to wear this CNY, it’s time to beat the heat while keeping it stylish with these tips.
1. Traditional – A nice short cheongsam is always a win when it comes to CNY. There are plenty in different prints and colours readily available in shopping malls (usually at the centre courts). The best part is the material is usually thin, which is perfect because we know how intense the heat can be this time of the year and they’re pretty affordable! You might even be surprised to find some cheongsams with a modern twist or cheongsam inspired outfits in various online shopping sites like Love Bonito, Doublewoot and Zalora, just to name a few.
2. Light and breezy – If cheongsams are too traditional for your liking and yes, they’re usually tight fitting, which may not work in your advantage with all the CNY feasting, then opt for a loose fit garment. It could be a loose fit dress, peplum top, flare summer dress or high waisted skirt (perfect for covering up that food bump!) You might also wanna consider sheer/light material for comfort and better yet, if they’re sleeveless or strapless!
3. Bright or pastel – It is not compulsory to wear red for CNY but we’d advise against wearing dark colours. There are other bright colours you can explore like fuchsia, yellow, green, cobalt blue or orange, depending on your skin tone. But if those neons don’t tickle your fancy, you can always opt for pastel hues and even white! Bottom line is think happy colours.
4. Accessories – While we would encourage prints during CNY, we understand that they may not be for everyone. Rather than appear too plain and simple, why not throw in accessories to bring out the festive mood! A statement necklace or earrings always works in turning an outfit from “meh” to “yeah”! And once again, play around with colours to make your outfit pop!
5. Dress to impress – An outfit is a reflection of who you are and it wouldn’t hurt to look your best when visiting family and friends. While you dress up this CNY, think of what makes you look and feel good without comprimising style and the spirit of CNY! It’s always good to infuse both.
Last but not least, have a stylish and prosperous Chinese New Year. Gong Xi Fa Cai! We would love to see your CNY outfits. So share them with us on instagram with the hashtag #megsmeshCNY